We’ve all been there – you’re in a close race for the win, and with just a few laps to go your tyres start to give up.
You can feel them slipping more and more as you try to push harder, until eventually you have no choice but to pit and hope for the best.
Wouldn’t it be great if there was a way to extend tyre life without having to sacrifice any speed?
In this blog post, we’re going to show you how to do just that.
So read on, and learn how to save those tyres in Iracing!
In sim racing, making sure your tyres last is crucial if you want to be competitive.
Racing on worn-out tyres not only reduces your speed, but it also increases tyre wear even more and fuel usage in the long run due to excessive wheelspin.
There are a few things you can do to help your tires last longer:
1) Try to keep your driving style as smooth and as consistent as possible.
2) Make sure you’re using the correct tyre compound for the track surface and race condition.
3) Avoid locking up under braking, especially for formula cars that don’t have ABS.
4) Don’t be too aggressive on throttle early on in the race
5) increase your traction to prevent excessive wheelspin
6) Don’t carry an excessive amount of speed in high speed corners which will likely hurt yourr rear tires
7) Don’t make too many practice start burnouts during the formation lap
8) Keep a slightly tigher line in the exit of the corners to reduce the load of the rear tyres
Do tires wear in iRacing?
Of course they do and that’s the reason wht we need to optimize our driving for reducing tire wear.
It’s not an easy skill to master butI’m sure you can quickly get there with some proper practice.
Eventhough it’s sim racing, tire wear is very similar to reality and hat makes the whole racing experience more immersive and realistic.
What causes rapid tire wear?
In my opinion, the main reason why tires would wear so fast in iRacing is because of overly aggressive driving.
As mentioned above, try to drive smoothly and you’ll see how much your tire life will extend in your next race stint.
How can my car setup affect tire wear?
Of course if you’re setup is very aggresive and made for qualifyng, you’ll then have little chance of doing many laps on the tyres.
In fact you’ll want to switch to the race setup which needs to be a lot softer in terms of anti roll bars and springs as well as lowering the tyre pressures.
This is key since the lower the tyre pressures are, the less chance there is for excessive wear during a race.
Always remember to play it safe with your car setup if you’re expecting a long race distance.
iRacing tire wear indicator
Luckily you’ve got the tire wear indicator in iRacing to warn you when your tyres are starting to wear out.
This is a great help and it’s something that should always be monitoring during a race.
If you see the tyre wear indicator bar turn yellow or red, then it’s time for a pit stop or at least drive smoother for the next couple of laps.
We hope this article has helped you understand how to save tyres on iracing.
Remember that the main key is to drive smoothly and avoid being too aggressive, especially in the early stages of the race.
If you follow these tips, you’ll definitely see an improvement in tyre life and be able to finish races on top without any tire problems.
I’m sure you’ll get better lap times afterwards.
Remember, the more aggressive you drive, the faster your tyres will wear out even if it’s in sim racing.
If you would like to know more about optimum tire pressures on iRacing then check out our full guide.
See you on track!
iRacing Related Articles
- Best iRacing Apps
- Best Steering Wheels for iRacing under $2.000
- iRacing Steam Vs Official website
- Best VR Headsets for iRacing
- iRacing Official Vs Unofficial races
- Best iRacing Mods
- Best iRacing corners
- Can You watch iRacing for free?
- How to Make Clips on iRacing
- Best iRacing Forums
- What is my iRacing name?
- How to get out of Rookie on iRacing